Thursday, October 14, 2004

Content...or happy?

Oftentimes I wonder what it is that makes someone content or happy...or how do you know if someone is, despite their pleas.

Maybe sometimes it's circumstances. Yesterday I won a free DVD from Columbia House in a contest. That made me happy. A bowl of chili made me content. Little things like that.

Tomorrow is my mom's birthday. As is customary, I called Mom to ask her if there was anything special she wanted in honor of the day. Naturally, I was compelled to do this, because buying Christmas presents is hard enough...she has just about everything we've ever thought she'd need or want.

I have always believed that my mom is not just content with life...she's happy. Her response today to my question only reaffirmed that belief. When I asked her, she replied, "Nothing. If I want anything, it would be to spend some time with you."

Mom and I spend a lot to time together. Not just family get togethers, either. We share a season subscription to the Broadway Series in Cincinnati. This affords us an opportunity to have a "mother/son" night out without all of the trappings that go into family gatherings. Our conversations at dinner before the shows are always lighthearted and fun, and they rarely carry serious "drama" or baggage.

Things like this reinforce my opinion that Mom is truly happy. I hope that someday I can be just as happy with life as her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home