Thursday, June 01, 2006

Blonds have more fun

Do you know what that means? Yep...Lance Bass won tonight's episode of "Gameshow Marathon". Reichen, you lucky dog....

On to a more serious subject. It's time again for one of my frequent self-analyses. Today's topic? "Keeping up with the Joneses"

Unless you are reading this blog for the first time...or you have an incredible short term memory loss, you may recall that I am taking my son on the Disney Magic seven day cruise in the Caribbean. As part of the advance preparation, I was scouring the discussion boards, trying to find if there are any of my "ilk" on this cruise. On cruise ships, we're called "Friends of Dorothy". While I haven't found a soul who'll admit to being on this specific voyage, I did run across a message board with some general people who'll be meeting together. I thought I'd introduce myself, and soon found that I was welcome at the opening "Meet & Greet"...which is in the "Walt Disney Suite" on the ship.

Naturally I began to question myself. Hmmm...Is my "Category 9" cabin good enough? I mean it's small, and it doesn't have a balcony, but it does have an exterior view. Should I upgrade? That verandah would cost another $1400. So I'll pass...but then there are the little things. Should I pack a tuxedo to dress along with others? Is that the purpose for the formal night? And what about the pirate night?

Today I began to wallow in the fact that, over the past week, I've spent almost $700 on car repairs (AC), $650 on homeowner's insurance, and $600 on real estate taxes. Then, I wondered to myself: Shouldn't I be able to afford a much better house than this one? I mean it's nice, but maybe it's time to trade up.

Somewhere in all of this I lost sight of the one intangible that is (as they say in the Mastercard commercial) PRICELESS. That's the relationship I have with my son. So what if we're sleeping on Deck 2. What matters is the fun we'll have on the boat. Who cares that my house isn't one of grandeur? It's simple, it's mine, and it leaves me with plenty of opportunities for us to take these cruises. And about that 1994 Saturn with the repaired AC? It'll be his first car when he turns 16...the only car I've owned since just after his birth. Where the two of us are concerned, maybe he'll enjoy the memories we've shared in that car more than my trading it in on something else.

I may not be blond, but I guess as long as I'm having MY type of fun it'll be okay.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

And imagine all the fun you would have if you meet one of your "kind" on the cruise and they happen to be blonde!

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home