Sunday, July 09, 2006

To my best friend....

This post is dedicated to my best friend, who is celebrating a birthday tomorrow.

It is hard for the ordinary person to understand how our friendship evolved. Truly, when one lays out the facts and the history as it unfolded, one can't help but be perplexed that we became such close friends.

I don't know whether there was a kinship, a shared experience, or something intangible that caused this bond to strengthen...but it has. Aside from family, there are very few people that I could count on being there in a crisis.

Of course, it helps that we have sons who are literally days apart in age. Were that not the case, I think we would still be as tight as we are today. In our earlier years, we partied together. During rough times, we have commiserated together. In the present, we have mellowed together.

Michael, I salute you. You, as much as any person I know, have faced hardships and adversity in your life with both grace and stamina. You rarely let things get you down. On those rare occasions when you seek out a shoulder, I'm privileged that you trust that I'll be there.

Hats off to you as you celebrate your birthday, my friend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home