Saturday, May 28, 2005

The way things used to be....

All in all, it was a pretty productive day today...if you weren't a member of the Cincinnati Reds, anyway....

Got up early for a weekend morning, got some yard work accomplished. Although I was never much into hunting growing up, I'm about ready to take a rifle and peg me a deer. Seems this doe has discovered how tasty my hosta plants are. Leaves are disappearing like crazy. Why can't she eat the weeds???

Later, went shopping at Barnes & Noble. After listening to samples of three Disney CD's (I know...shut up about the cruise already!), I purchased a Dungeons & Dragons Players' Handbook, so that my son and I can learn more about our respective characters. I also bought Birnbaum's "Disney Cruise" guide (can you tell I'm stoked about this vacation?). I then met my ex-wife and picked up my son for an evening at the Reds' game.

It was a special night filled with memories for me. Tonight they retired the number 10 in honor of Sparky Anderson, arguably one of the best managers in the game. He led the "Big Red Machine" to back-to-back World Series championships...that team is still one of the best to ever play. Names like Joe Morgan, Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Ken Griffey, and Tony Perez (my personal favorite). Quite a moving ceremony for Sparky before the game. Reminded me of how successful that team really was...and it was fun sharing that with my son who, by the way, spent as much time talking to the handsome straight guy sitting next to him as he did to me.

Then the starting pitcher, Eric Milton, gave up seven runs in the first three innings. I don't get it...the man is being paid $25 million over three years, and he's already given up 20 home runs...including three tonight. As could be expected, the Reds lost 9-2. Looks like the "Big Red Machine" needs an overhaul.

Oh well, at least there's Disney on the horizon....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home