Thursday, November 18, 2004

Did I deserve this?

A bittersweet day.

It all revolves around a phone call from my son and the events which transpired after. He calls me almost every day at 4:00 p.m. to let me know he's home safe. Today, he told me suddenly that he had an orchestral concert tonight at his school. He seemed reticent to have me there, but decided that I should come if I could. His explanation was that he was nervous and he didn't know if he wanted family around.

After getting reassurance from him that it was okay, I drove the half hour up there. My ex-wife was already seated, so I walked over to her. She asked me to sit three seats down in order to save the seats in between us for parents of Matthew's best friend. When I returned from the bathroom, the couple had arrived and were seated in between us. Shortly thereafter her parents showed up. I was furious! Matthew was nervous about playing in front of family, she had not mentioned the concert, yet her parents were there?! To make matters worse, she did not ask to rearrange the seats to that I would at least be sitting closer to her or her parents. I was stuck with people I barely knew.

I am also hurt and angry that it wasn't important enough to her or my son that I have enough time to perhaps call my mother and invite her. I'm sure she would've enjoyed the concert. Am I overreacting?

I admit I was very cold to them. If she confronts me on it, I'm ready with a response: "It appears that you wished to treat me somewhat as a stranger. Should you therefore expect any different from me?"

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. I've got my son for the weekend, so my spirits should improve.

1 Comments:

Blogger LadyCracker said...

Hi

I'm sorry to hear about the problems that you are having with your ex - wife.

I have recently found out that my sister is pregnant to my ex boyfriend of four years.

We broke up 1 month ago.

The hurt and anger that your family bring up in you is so hard to deal with

Best of luck - I hope that you can work it out

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home